Maybe it’s the warmer weather, longer days, or being fully vaccinated—or a combo of all three—but spring has us ready to get out of the house and have some fun! Thankfully, Fairfax has a robust restaurant and retail scene we can all get behind. If you’re looking for ways to hit the town and make new memories with friends or family this season, this list of ideas can help get you started.
Use spring energy to get creative
Have all the colorful spring blooms got you in a creative mood? A gals night out with wine and painting might be the perfect isolation remedy—or you could channel your artistic energy into making culinary magic. Here are a few prime ways to bring out your inner artist:
- Take a culinary class. Ready to spruce up your kitchen game? Sign up for a cooking class with your S.O. or bestie at Workhouse Arts Center and elevate your pizza-making skills or learn basic cooking techniques.
- Paint your own pottery. Pottery painting is fun for the whole family, and Create Like Crazy has more options than ever for you to take home your next masterpiece. Grab your kids or BFF and sign up for an in-person or virtual class, or snag a take-home pottery kit and have it fired up when you’re finished painting!
- DIY wood painting. Are you and your gals looking for a fun alternative to the bar? Get your squad together and head over to Board and Brush for DIY sign making and wine drinking! Make a cute and welcoming wood sign for your home or customize your own wine glasses with your BFFs. Board and Brush also offers kids’ camps and family-friendly activities. Check out their events calendar to schedule your next DIY adventure.
View this post on Instagram
Take your partner out for a date night
Tired of takeout and Netflix? We don’t blame you. Mix up your next date night with these highly-rated Fairfax restaurants and bars.
- High Side. With 20 craft beer and four craft cider taps to choose from, High Side is our go-to spot for tasty drinks and hip ambiance. High Side also offers a full Asian street food menu featuring staples like steamed bao buns, plus modern twists like lemongrass fried chicken. High Side is currently open for indoor and outdoor seating on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Bollywood Bistro. If Bollywood movies and authentic Indian cuisine sounds like your idea of an unforgettable date night, you need to check out Bollywood Bistro! We know the D.C. area has a lot of amazing Indian food, but trust us when we say Bollywood Bistro should be at the top of your list. Choose from a full selection of wine, beer, and cocktails while indulging in biryanis, tandoori entrees, or vegetarian plates, all while enjoying vintage Bollywood films and music. Bollywood Bistro is currently open for indoor seating at a limited capacity. Or, if you’re not ready to eat out yet, they offer free local delivery.
- Epicure Cafe. We love Epicure Café for their innovative vision and creative spirit. Seamlessly blending live music, art, drinks, and inspired dishes, Epicure is a melting pot of diverse talent and flavors. Plus, they have vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free Mediterranean-inspired dishes to please all dietary preferences. So grab a drink and a meal with your S.O. and kick back and enjoy the show! Or, head up to the rooftop garden for full service and sweeping views.
Nourish your body with healthy foods
With gym and indoor dining restrictions lifting in Virginia, many of us are eager to get back to our diet and exercise routines. Prepare for and recover from your next workout with these healthy offerings.
- Senberry. If you’ve never tried an açaí bowl, you’re in for a delicious treat. This healthy bowl combines fruit (namely the açaí berry) and a variety of add-ins like nut butters, granola, plant milks, cacao, hemp seeds, and coconut flakes. Not only do açaí bowls provide your body with essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and healthy fats, but they also satisfy sweet tooth cravings. Fairfax’s Senberry Bowls offers delicious açaí bowls and coffee drinks for all your pre- and post-workout needs.
- True Food Kitchen. From salads and bowls to plant-based pizza and pasta, True Food Kitchen is Fairfax’s go-to restaurant for healthy dining. Re-energize your body and mind with a nutrient-rich poke or quinoa bowl, or indulge in a vegan spinach & mushroom pizza, made with almond ricotta “cheese” and topped with sautéed spinach & mushrooms, caramelized onions, and garlic puree. Whether you’re an omnivore or plant-based eater, True Food Kitchen has organic, nutritious, locally sourced ingredients to please your stomach and taste buds.
View this post on Instagram
- Fairfax farmers’ markets. Shop an array of colorful veggies, homemade cheeses, and grass-fed meats with friends or family at Fairfax County farmers’ markets this spring! Shopping at farmers’ markets supports your health and local farmers, and allows your kids to better understand where their food comes from.
Have some family fun
We know the colder months were rough for many families; being stuck inside with few options for recreation and entertainment made us all a little stir-crazy. But with temperatures rising and more people feeling safe to socialize, your family may be ready to leave the house and try these fun activities.
- Cool down with a waterpark trip. What better way to celebrate warmer weather than at northern Virginia’s largest waterpark? Whether you want to entertain your little daredevil with the four-story slides of Pipeline Tower or meander down the lazy river with your partner, SplashDown Waterpark offers fun and refreshing options for the whole family.
- Make it a lake day. Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy some family fun at nearby Lake Accotink! Conveniently located just 30 minutes from Fairfax, Lake Accotink Park offers over 490 acres of woods, trails, campsites, and waterfront activities ripe for exploration. Your little ones can enjoy a campfire and s’mores every Friday night during Campfire Fridays, and choose from a variety of summer camps focused on nature, adventure, and mountain biking.
View this post on Instagram
- Escapology. Let the countdown begin! Escapology takes a fresh twist on escape rooms by offering private rooms with themes for all ages and interests, including wild west shootout, nuclear war, code-cracking, and treasure hunting. Families will have the opportunity to work together and solve complex puzzles, riddles, and more. Enjoy this indoor activity on a rainy day or to beat the northern Virginia heat!
Refresh your look this spring at our medspa
Before you hit the town this spring, let our expert aestheticians help you refresh your look. From custom peels, microdermabrasion, cosmetic injections, and more, our Medical Spa & Skincare center at Hess Plastic Surgery offers all the services you need to put your best face forward. Contact us online or call (703) 752-6608 to schedule your skincare consultation and evaluation.